Re: [Harp-L] Harp songs for a Funeral

From: "Dave R. Fertig"
I am a little struck by the phrase, "anti-Christian" and the notion that, at a funeral, someone of one religion would be offended by hearing a song representative of another religion.

Dave, I used the expression as a reminder that some people might find the hymns of one religion to be inappropriate for the funeral of someone who did not hold that belief. My wife was born and raised a Buddhist in a predominantly Buddhist country. Once when she heard me playing "Amazing Grace" she asked, "Why are you playing funeral music?" She didn't know it as a hymn. No matter what you believe in, if you watched the funeral of President Reagan, the lone bagpiper's "Amazing Grace" moved you, or you are unmovable. In that case, it's the music, even if you don't know the words. But if people do know the words, it is possible that they might find them inappropriate for the occasion.

It's not a matter of being offended, it's a matter of sensitivity to the feelings and beliefs of the bereaved. A funeral isn't a club performance, a jam session, or ordinary gig. It's also not the time to inform them that they are a bunch of unenlightened bigots. It's their grief, their occasion. I basically agree with you, but that wasn't the point.

Several list members put it more sagely; "Ask them what they want played."

Peace and music,
Dave