Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Harp songs for a Funeral

BostonMoeJo writes:

"The Old Rugged Cross
Nearer My God to Thee

I'll second Bob  Cohen's suggestions:
Amazing Grace
&
Will the Circle Be  Unbroken
Taps (at the grave site)

On Jul 7, 2006, at 6:52  PM, Don Alexander wrote:

> I have been  ask to play my  harmonica at a funeral.  Any suggestions
> as  to  what songs would be appropriate and that can be played on a
>  harmonica (diatonic or chromatic)??  Any suggestions  are
>  appreciate.  I was thinking Shenandoah, Red  River Valley,  etc..."

....... Not to give you grief specifically, BostonMoeJo, but those  first two
Hymns would likely be quite offensive performed at a  Jewish funeral....or
any services not specifically  Christian.  Don requested songs, not hymns from
us....so I  don't think he was specifically looking for anything overtly
religious in nature.  The first one I thought of was my favourite,  Amazing
Grace....but it is a hymn as well.

Shenandoah is a good song, in my humble opinion...wistful.   Danny Boy....
_Click  here: Danny Boy - Irish Song Lyrics and Music Midi_
(http://www.ireland-information.com/irishmusic/dannyboy.shtml)   Minstrel Boy  (depending on the
gender of the deceased and/or military service:  _Click here: The  Minstrel
Boy_ (http://www.contemplator.com/ireland/minstrel.html)
  I've always liked Green, Green Grass of Home as well _Click here: V Coy
Green  Green_ (http://maori2000.com/vcoy67/green.htm)

(The music and lyrics can be heard and read at the links  provided).

 I've just tried playing all of them (including Red River Valley  and
Shenandoah) on my Super 64 Chromatic and was able to segue easily from  one to the
other.  I don't have the bending skills on diatonics...so  someone else will
have to answer Don's question from that  perspective.

Elizabeth

P.S.  Just thought of another:  one that's more modern  could be The Wind
Beneath My Wings, but I liked Lee Greenwood's version  first.  Haven't tried to
play it.