Fwd: 1991 SPAH memories was Re: [Harp-L] Michel Herblin

Actually, many other people were overblowing by 1991, including
Filisko, who used a Hole 10 overdraw in one of the competitions that year.

Others include Will Scartlett (since about 1965, recorded from 1968 on
with Hot Tuna and Rosalie Sorrels), Paul Oscher (who used it on a
Muddy Waters record in 1968), me (since 1974, when I learned it from
Will), Michael Peloquin, Mike Turk. Even then, it seemed like a known
phenomenon among advanced players.

Winslow

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Chris Michalek" <chris@...>
wrote:

That was actually 1991.  The 1992 SPAH was in Chicago where we all
drove around in Levy's Nissan... another story for another time

I spent a lot of time hanging out with Michel. He was my biggest
influence that year despite Howard Levy also being in the hotel.  I
remember Howard taking a liking to Michel but refused to believe that
he was not an influence on him at all.  Michel was one of the few
overblowers as it was something that was just emerging...the only
other overblowers aside from Howard and Michel were Sandy Weltman,
Larry Eisenberg, John McLaughlin and myself. Those were intereting
times. I remember seeing larry and sandy down by the piano at some jam
and thinking man I'll never get to that level...  Michel Herblin stole
the show though when he stepped up to the mic and played Lionel
Richie's "Hello". I still play that song today based upon that moment.

Michel was quite a fellow and I didn't sense any real arrogance maybe
because he liked me and took me under his wing that year? I don't
know.  I was a pretty raw player that year though many tell me I would
have easily taken 3rd place, alas I wasn't there to compete.  I
learned how to attack notes from Michel. "Know that note" he would say
"Hit it hard and make it yours"  That's always in the back of my head
everytime I play.

I remember meeting Filisko who was selling heavy brass harmonicas. I
played one and thought it was awesome but there was NO WAY I was going
to pay $75 for a harmonica. Such a fool in hindsight. I wish I would
have purchased everyone. I remember walking over to the Holiday Inn
for the Blues jam with Joe Filisko but refused to go in when we got to
the door. Joe realized I was broke and paid the $10 cover for me. I'll
never forget that.

I met Madcat that year too. I rememeber being hugely nervous to be in
his presence because he was/is my major blues influence and here he is
in the flesh. I met Annie Cohen that year too and years later when
people where surprised that I hadn't heard of her I had no idea she
took on the last name of Raines.

I also met Wiliam Galison who asked me how to overblow. David Flack
was the resident guitarist.  I remember being awe-struck at Howard
Levy and Ron Kalina playing jazz in the lobby.

What a life changing moment that was for me as a player.  A SPAH
convention is the best thing a young player can do to get to the next
level.

I'll be in Denver next month.

Competition in Detroit.

>There we were, all hanging out in the lobby bar (do you remember
this, Buzz?) of the Crowne Royal Hotel by Metro Airport, when in walks
Michel. He is hard to miss, cause he is about 6' 4" tall and somehow
seemed bigger than life. Of course, we were curious as to who he was,
so we asked. He said, in his French accented English, "My name is
Michel Herblin and I have come to win". My my, how pompous thought we.

>However, once he played, everything changed. Michel was an original
voice, something lacking on diatonic in those days (and these days as
well). BEAUTIFUL TONE, total control of the bends, excellent original
music. I "fell in love" with his music. Soon after, the pompousness I
experienced morphed into a reality of his talent and his being French
and telling it like it is. He is actually very shy, but is a true
artist with something to offer. We became friends, I was given a rough
copy of his early recording and he gave me permission to play his
original tunes.