Fwd: [Harp-L] Bebop tuning: Much better than solo tune? Says who?

George -

You don't say why you believe bebop tuning is better. You only voice
your dissatisfaction with the double C.

The added Bb could be a problem for some players. If they want to
play an open C major triad without the Bb, they have to go the
trouble of making sure it doesn't sound. It also introduces a
chromatic element into the C major scale, which may not be diesirable
in all circumstances.

Having a blow C right next to the blow G is often useful. Retuning
that C to another note requires that the player block out the
intervening note for combinations, either melodic or harmonic, that
involve G and the C above. Same goes for accessing that note from B
or A - it is closer than the other C for any note that lies below it,
both for melodic leaps and for double stops.

Myself I prefer to either leave the C alone or retune it to A instead
of C, as I find this more useful for much of the music I play.

Hundreds of alternate tunings exist for the chromatic harmonica.
Arguments can be made for and against all of them and there is no
clear "best" tuning.

Why don't harmonica manufacturers offer alternate tunings? Not enough
players demand any particular alternate tuning, so it is not
economical for them to change their manufacturing practices, let
alone manage an additional inventory item. Some manufacturers will
custom tune an instrument if the customer pays the cost or the
customer is important enough to the manufacturer.

Winslow

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "George Leung" <gleung4@xxxx>
wrote:

While I was adding a section in Wikipedia on the alternate tunings
for both
bebop tuning and classical tuning for chrom, I was wondering: is
there any
purpose for the redundent C? Here's what I am thinking:

1)It does not serve much for octave, since player have to learn to
play on
five holes (blocking the middle 3 holes) in order to play octaves on
other
notes.
2)It have no help on chord construction whatsoever.

The only purpose I see the reason the redundent C exist is due to the
legacy
from the diatonic, which will make it not redunent in that case. But
IMHO,
for chromatics, a bebop tuning or even classical tuning have much
more sense
then the current tuning Solo tune we are having right now. So why
didn't the
harmonica facotries adopt, at the very least, bebop tuning for chrom?