To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, January 30, 2006 10:21 PM
Subject: [Harp-L] Best compromise temperament

Hi folks. What are your felling on the most versatile
of the compromise temperament/intonations? One which
may not be perfect a given situation but which can be
used for blues and slip in to some jazzier stuff
without being noticeably out of place.

I rather like the scheme used on Hohner's handmade
series but haven't used it in enough situations to
commit to it.

19-limit just brings the 5 Draw more in line with
concert pitch and seems to work nicely. You have to
tune your self or get customs as I don't think this
one is offered commercially.

The MS tuning is closer still.

One question about the 19-lim and MS tunings. The
greatest adjustment is of course around the 5 and 9
Draws. But if the idea is to bring them closer to
12-TET then why isn't it as big a concern for the 3
Blow which can remain as much as 14 cents flat of
12-TET. Is there something about the third degree of
the scale which makes it seem more 'in tune' to 12-TET
even though in reality it may be flatter than the
scale's troublesome fourth degree?

Paul