From: harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Paul F. Sehorne
Sent: Saturday, January 28, 2006 11:49 PM
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] review of "Paul Butterfield Teaches BluesHarmonica
Masterclass"

On at, 28 Jan 2006 18:29:27 -0800 Don Grubbs wrote
 >> I never liked critizing someone who did a better job than I could
have
done.

I knew when I criticized Butterfield's work that there was a better than

good possibility of offending some Harp-L'ers, but as a consumer
spending
my money I DO criticize those 'who did a better job than I could have
done'
when their product or service is disappointing.  If I subscribed to
above
philosophy I would not be entitled to criticize anyone who sells me an
inferior product or service just because I personally could not do
better -
whether that someboby be a music teacher, carpenter, lawn groomer, auto
repairman, etc.

I was not criticizing Butterfield for his musicianship or commitment.
If I
had purchased the product (as I have many music harmonica CDs) for the
listening value and as a example of something worth while to try to
emulate, I would not have been disappointed.  As has been said here
there
is a lot of good stuff on the CD to listen to and try to emulate, but
from
an instructional standpoint it is lacking.  I purchased 'Paul Butterfied

Blues Band' and 'East-West' CDs and am not disappointed because they
live
up to their expected purpose.  But 'Paul Butterfield Teaches Blues
Harmonica Masterclass' , as an instructional course, did not live up to
its
purpose.  Did it have great examples?  Yes.  Did it have great
instructional value. No.

I didn't criticize the product just to complain.  I feel that other
students should know what to expect.  If after reading my 'review' and
the
replies to it in this forum, someone chooses to purchase the product
they
will not be disappointed.  If however, they, like me, purchase it
expecting
instruction, they will be disappointed.  For $15 I spend it is worth it,

and maybe more, for the reasons Don has pointed out.

For instructional value I still feel that even at four times the price
Portnoy's product is the better value.

No offence meant from this front either.  I'm just enjoying this forum
where many contrary and informative opinions can be found and enjoyed.

Paul