[Harp-L] Re:Butterfield

First of all, I haven't seen the video, nor do I have to in order to make  my
comments known. For any of you old enough on this list to have been playing
since the late 60's, early 70's, ANY type of video or attempt of instruction
from a great was unheard of. We all have gotten used to computer age, just ask
a  question on HarpL about tube setups, or whatever, and your lazy butt is
answered, rather than the old fashioned way of spending the time to learn it
yourself by trial and error, pay your dues, not just pay your network provider.
 NONE of the greats of those days told you Squat, you had to pay your money
and  hopefully get close enough to watch their mouth on the harp to see what
they  were doing. And Paul learned the same way, getting his head handed to him
as a  youngster trying to play the blues with the big boys. His feeling, his
phrasing,  his control and raw power is still to this day unique. A player that
from one  note you can tell who it is, the mark of greatness. At least he
gave it an  attempt, lighten up. For those that think they are saying something
with their  thousand note extended solos, three words, Driftin and Driftin: Eb
harp. Nuf  said. Let the man who was one of the ones that continued to pave
the way so harp  came to the forefront as a Strong instrument rest in peace and
give him his  props. Jerry Portnoy said to me about the Walter video with
Houndog Taylor, " I  just want to see him move again", so true Jerry, just to see
him move gave us an  insight as to what he was feeling. It would be nice to
see Paul again, and  of course Sonny. Criticizing is easy, I have had to sit in
front of 80 harp  players at 9AM and be criticized, gives you a whole new
insight on what makes  you tick or how you look at someone else. As always, next
time I will let you  know what I really think.: SJ