Re: [Harp-L] LW on video (was LW in Europe)

In response to my inquiry, Scott Dirks has contacted me off-list with the following Email. It is both comprehensive and definitive, and Scott gave permission for it to be forwarded to the list. Thank you indeed, Scott, and thanks again for the great LW bio! (And thanks also to Bert, Tom E, and everyone else who contacted me both on-list and off.)

For those of you who have yet to read "Blues With a Feeling," the Little Walter biography by Scott (co-written with Ward Gaines and Tony Glover,) I would recommend it highly -- IMHO it is one of the finest, most complete and balanced music bios ever written.
-TB

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Tom Ball wrote:
Recently there has been a discussion of the brief Little Walter clips of him accompanying other artists at the AFBF in Europe, which brings to mind the following question:

According to Paul Vernon's book "African-American Blues, Rhythm and Blues, Gospel and Zydeco on Film and Video, 1926-1997," somewhere there are two other clips of LW as well:

'My Babe' from the British TV show 'Ready, Steady, Go' (Sept 25, 1964,) and
My Babe' and "Juke' from the British TV show 'Beat Room' (PV gives the date as Oct 26, '64; the LW bio suggests Sep 26.)

In both cases it is thought that Walter only lip-synched and/or faked the harp playing on these shows, but nevertheless these clips would be very entertaining to see...

As far as I know the clips themselves have never surfaced -- either officially or through booted collector video. Has anyone actually seen them? Were they destroyed after the initial airing(s)? (Scott D, do you still occasionally monitor this list? <g>)

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

To which Scott replied:
I do, but only via the "harp-l archives" page in "Yahoo groups", which means I can't post notes to the group. But you're welcome to forward this info if you'd like.

The Ready, Steady, Go footage WAS lip synched, but the Beat Room footage probably was not. I saw that Tom Ellis posted a note with good details on the RST footage, to which I'll only add that I've also heard that Dave Clark's company doesn't actually *have* a lot of the old RST shows. Apparently they got some of the ones with high-profile British Invasion acts like the Beatles, Stones, Kinks and Who, which they've licensed out over the years, but my understanding is that they don't actually have the show with Little Walter, nor many of the other shows without a high-profile pop star as a guest.

I've spent a lot of time trying to track down the Beat Room LW footage, with no luck. I did however find ONE episode (featuring Tom Jones) a few years ago, and at least on that episode, all of the 4 acts perform live, including John Lee Hooker who is backed by an now-unknown Brit R&B band that featured the future guitarist from the group Yes.

LW also performed with Long John Baldry during his '64 British tour, and according to a mention in Melody Maker magazine, that performance was "filmed for Southern TV". Southern TV doesn't exist anymore, and none of my many inquiries have ever even come up with any evidence that this "film" was ever broadcast.

In '67, LW performed in the Netherlands on a TV show which definitely WAS recorded and broadcast at a later date (this info
came from someone who was at the performance who then watched in on TV a couple of weeks later.) I've found documentation of this, made my own inquiries, and also a friend over there with connections looked into it, but never had any luck finding the footage. The only answer we've ever gotten is that it probably doesn't exist anymore, since it hasn't been seen or shown since right after the initial airing.

There was a performance on German TV during that tour, but when I started investigating this stuff in earnest 15 years ago, one of the first things I heard was that the German footage was disposed of when the vaults were purged in the 1970s, so I never followed up any further.

The only other confirmed TV performance I ever dscovered was the one on Danish TV with Hound Dog and Koko Taylor, which was broadcast in Denmark in 1968 and then buried in their vaults. I acquired a dub of it around 10 years ago directly from Danish TV, but sat on it while I looked for other stuff. A few years ago Danish TV opened their vaults up and made everything available for licensing, so now this footage is commercially available on DVD.

And as far as I know, that's it for LW performance footage. But I would encourage anyone who is so inclined to pick up where I left off and continue looking!

Scott