[Harp-L] Polycrylic wood comb tips

Zombor,

This is the system I use which originated while restoring wooden comb
harmonicas that were hopelessly swollen beyond the point of use:

On wooden comb tips I use Minwax Water-Based Polycrylic.

I use it to restore swollen comb tips and to protect new ones.

First I remove the comb.

Swollen tips can be gently sanded with Super Fine number 400 grain/grit
sandpaper to remove areas that hurt your lips. Be very careful not to sand
an area that touches the cover plate. You do not want to interfere with the
air seal which is bad enough in wooden comb harps to begin with. Sanding
should be done thoughtfully with great care. If you sand too much you will
be sorry. Then brush away fine powder.

I apply Polycrylic with a small brush just inside a short way, brushing
outwards covering the mouth edge of the comb. I build up multiple coats.

It dries quickly. I let it dry between coats by laying the comb ontop the
little can to air dry. When satisfied with the coatings, cure it for three
days in the air, then reassemble. The Minwax manufacturer recommends 3 days
total curing then it is considered safe to play (including without taste or
odor).

Apologizing for my frankness, the reason I do it is primarily comfort,
because I got tired of sore torn up lips, and secondarily for ease in
knocking out the spit and dry spit removal which would stick to wooden
edges.

It is a wooden comb for a reason, therefore I only coat the tips; thus
preserving as much of the integrity of the original wood as possible, yet
accomplishing my goals.

I am very happy with their smoothness. You can slide side to side faster and
the tips do not swell and stick out to tear up lips. I think they last
longer. And looks pretty.

Sincerely,

Denise