[Harp-L] review of "Paul Butterfield Teaches Blues Harmonica Masterclass"

I just recently got interested in harmonica. I wasn't listening to / noticing harmonica music back when Butterfield was alive. From what I've read on this forum I gather that he was a great (blues harmonica) musician. Based upon what I was hearing and because I am learning to play the harmonica myself now, I purchased "Paul Butterfield Teaches Blues Harmonica Masterclass".

I must say I am a bit disappointed. It is a lot of demonstration with very little explanation. I've found Jerry Portnoy's Blues Harmonica Masterclass course a much better investment, even at four times the price. (Butterfield's course ~$15, Portnoy's course ~$60). At $15 it is as much value musically as a good Harmonica music CD, but from a training / learning standpoint it is lacking. What explanation is included is somewhat incomplete and sometimes ambiguous.

Of course, this is as much producer/director's fault (Happy Traum, Homespun Tapes) as the musician. I have many Homespun Tapes video VHS courses that I purchased about 10 years ago (including 'every' piano video that they had at the time). Some of them are great. Some are not. David Cohen's Blues Piano videos are great. Warren Bernhardt's Jazz Piano videos are not. Unless you have some feedback from someone (like this feedback), you pays yore money and takes yore chances.

The Butterfield CD audio course is distributed by Hal Leonard. I purchased if from Amazon.com <http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0793581303/102-6677938-2744148?v=glance&n=283155>here

Paul "two cents" Sehorne