Fwd: [Harp-L] Will Scarlett's tuning with Hot Tuna's Candy Man (was Allman Brothers)

Will told me that he played a G harp, standard tuning, on all the Hot
Tuna records. Even back then (late '60s) he was using overblows and
overdraws, incorporating them seamlessly into his carefully
articulated playing. When I first met him in 1974, he was playing
that same G-harp, with metal comb dividers and wooden covers shaped
something like the modern Turbolids (he had a patent, since expired,
on the design), and nonchalantly incorporating overblows into his
second-position playing. I had to stop him and say, "Dude - how are
you getting that note in between Draw 4 and blow 5??" He then told me
about overblows - and he was calling them overblows, just as Howard
Levy later did.

Will lives in Berkeley, California. I've been in touch with him
sporadically though not lately. I understand he's still gigging every
now and then and teaches some. He recorded on a children's album with
Jerry Garcia adn David Grisman sometime in the 1990s.

Winslow