Re: [Harp-L] Re: Intonation and bending/overblow notes , iceman's summertime

Richard Hunter says:
Regarding point 2, the public at the moment seems most enamored of
players who play diatonics in a more or less traditional style.  But the
public is always late to the party anyway

to which Robert Koch replies

In other terms, the public is stupid. Richard, who do you think you are?

And this is where we inevitably head towards trouble. I read Richard's observation and I don't think he's calling anyone stupid. In the United States the harmonica music you will most likely hear in media, television, radio, etc is all of a very traditional type. 10 hole diatonic played in second position and employed as a bluesy background. The nature of emerging styles and tastes is that a smaller core group gets it first. If the style catches on the late to the party general public will embrace the style also. Witness rap and hip hop and the recent phenomena of white middle class kids in the suburbs playing constantly a form of music that originated in an intensely urban environment. "who do you think you are" Where does that come from? He's just a guy with an opinion just like you are. The only way to discuss anything with any level of difficulty on a large list like harp-l is to be very careful of misunderstandings and to not instantly morph to confrontation when you think some one is saying something you don't agree with.

Thank you Jason for so very clearly hearing the question I was asking. Also, thanks for sharing. Your answer is exactly what I sought in terms of discussion. I agree that if I was so mired in the technical that I would not play out if and until I'd acheived some level of perfection I would never ever play out. When I do gig I play bad notes pretty much every set. It is very interesting to have people come up to you after a set to express their appreciation of your playing and or music while you are all the while thinking about how badly you've played. I've never saved anyone's life though. Your dedication and single minded sense of purpose is to be admired. fjm