[Harp-L] Sad news on the soul front

Wilson Pickett ranked with James Brown and Otis Redding as a master of deep
soul, and should be remembered for much, much more than "Mustang
Sally"--which,  if only we could hear it fresh, stripped of a million bar-band covers,
would  still possess one of the great vocal grooves of our era (to say nothing of
that  scream.)  Check out his 3 CD Greatest Hits collection.  Archetypal  hits
and obscure album cuts all slam home with pure authenticity.  "If You  Need
Me," "I'm in Love," "Man and a Half," "Everybody Needs Somebody," "Broadway
Walk..."  He was a troubled man and a genuine artist.  He was the  Wicked
Pickett.  We don't get very many like him in a lifetime.

Peace and Respect
Johnny T