[Harp-L] RE: Tongue-block (last one I swear...!)

I agree that neither is "correct", unless you are
speaking about attaining a specific sound or
technique, in which case, quite a few things you can
do with TB'ing you cannot do with the pucker style.

I will add, and I understand quite a few people may
disagree and/or be offended, but I find that much more
players I listen to who use the pucker method have a
thinner tone than the TB players I have heard.

This is not to say all TB'ers have better, or bigger
(meaning warmer, rounder, thicker, richer) tone than
all pucker players. This is simply not true, but the
ratio is quite different.

I understand this may be "my idea" of what good tone
is, so to each his own.

When you look at the legendary sax players Lester
Young & Coleman Hawkins, they have two totally
different sounds and approaches. Most people would
describe Hawkins' sound as big & full-bodied, and
Lester's as softer & lighter. However I prefer
Lester's sound & style...and I find it warmer in
general, but two different sounds can be "correct".

-Dennis Gruenling
www.dennisgruenling.com

PS - boy, am I glad I won't be around long to see how
heated this gets...!