[Harp-L] ExercisesMessage: 12

Jay -

  Here's some.  Once you can do this, it's not a big deal, but it's a
good starter exercise.  Try to touch your tongue to the base of a shot
glass without touching the sides. Repeat this and once you get it down,
try to move it slightly while it's in the glass - again, without
touching the sides!  Yeah, it sounds weird, but it is a good way to
discipline the tongue muscles - though you might want to do it in the privacy of
your home.

  For diaphragm, I do ab crunches, pilates with a Swiss Ball - but
there is also an  interesting thing I picked up from Chicago Blues Harp
Player and Truck Driver, Buzz Krantz:

  You can do this anywhere - while you are sitting, stiffen your lower
abdomen and try to inhale and exhale without moving it.  It seems
impossible, but over time you can get good at it.  I've found that it
strenghens the muscles and helps you to better control air flow when your
playing.

  Then there is a transitional phrase I learned to play as an exercise
to help you get ascend to the high end from the low end.  I usually use
a C, but I think it works in most any key - 6 blow, 6 draw, 7 draw, 7
blow.  Start it slowly and just work on playing it faster and faster
over time.  That one is courtesy of my buddy Roscoe.

  This last thing may not mean much if you aren't into singing or
public speaking - but I sing and perform at poetry readings.  This is more
to exercise your "stage presence" chops.  I have been plagued with
pre-gig jitters all my life and I find that it helps with that.

  The singing in particular also helps your harmonica phrasing and
vice-versa.  There is a story among Jazz musicians that Sarah Vaughn
learned to scat while working with Dizzy Gillespie.  The Diz told her to
"sing the horn parts."

  I hope some of that works for you.

  Mark Russillo
  a.k.a. The Rhode Island Kid
 Exercises
[...]

Yahoo! Photos
--0-898150205-1137695991=:64541

		<hr size=1>Yahoo! Photos<br>
Ring in the New Year with <a href="http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail_us/taglines/photos/*http://pa.yahoo.com/*http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail_us/taglines/photos/evt=38087/*http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph//page?.file=calendar_splash.html&.dir=";>Photo Calendars</a>. Add photos, events, holidays, whatever.
--0-898150205-1137695991=:64541--