[Harp-L] Tuning and reed integrity

In a message dated 1/16/2006 4:51:22 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
harp-l-request@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

Solder  is a quick way to lower pitch quickly. I've never spent much
time with and  so am not very good at it. I have tried using car body
filler mixed with  brass filings (take an old reed plate and a
file . . .). This works fine  on long reeds and doesn't have the
potential to run all over the reed,  slot, etc. and ruin everything.
Aside from accidents due to blundering,  soldering changes the weight
distribution on the reed in a rather dramatic  way.

  The only time i tried to use solder, i ruined the reed by soldering  it
shut.  I must need a smaller solder gun.
  I sometimes use a dab of nail polish, very  carefully applied with the end
of a pin, to lower pitch by small  degrees.  Seems to stick well enough to a
reed.
ron