Re: Subject: [Harp-L] RE: bending using tongue-block (AKA shut up already, Dennis!)

Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 22:17:41 +0000 (GMT)
From: Ludo Beckers <ludobeckers@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Subject: [Harp-L] RE: bending using tongue-block (AKA
	shut up	already, Dennis!)
>  Hi Elizabeth,
> E:
> <<...little things like tongue-lifts, or pull-offs (where the player will
>TB
>a note & slightly pull off his tongue so you hear a chord)...and other
>similar nuances involving tongueing techniques."........
>   L:
> These are indeed indicators for TB, but not for TB-bending holes 1-3. I
>simply wondered if there are any clues that I've overheard all these years.
>The only thing I can think of, but that would be quite subjective, is a
>"full" tone.
>8<
> Ludo

Hi Ludo, and others,
  I think one way to compare something subjective, is to make it readily
available for people to draw their own conclusions.  I made some sound
samples for the purpose of comparing how I sound using pucker and tongue
block through a bullet mic - I wasn't expecting much difference, but it's
pretty obvious there is:
http://www.angelfire.com/music/harmonica/ampdmics.html#micplaying

  I started out with pucker, then I learnt to tongue block, and spent the
last couple of years really working on my articulation and bends using TB,
and pleased with the results.
  I think one of the biggest things TB offers is it requires you to use the
back of your throat for articulation and bends - starting out with pucker I
learnt to bend and articulate in middle and front of my mouth (and tongue),
which tends to have more treble, than playing at the back of your throat.
  Cheers,
-- G.
http://www.angelfire.com/music/HarpOn/playing.html#embouchure