Subject: [Harp-L] Jake....

Trip Henderson writes:
"Elizabeth,

Thanks for sending the Jake link.  Quick story...I  was over at a
friend's place in the East Village here in NYC. She is a music  attorney
and reps Jake and occasionally has these amazing pickin' parties  where
you never know who might turn up.  As it happens Jake is one of  her
clients and made the scene.  So we're playing bluegrass and it's  cool
but then my sometimes band mate (Richard Dipaolo) shows up and we  grab
Jake and for a small acoustic blues session in the back and its  smokin!
Jake's having the time of his life saying things like "wow, this  is
blues master class!!!!" I love this guy's enthusiasm.  His sister  who's
16 with the voice of an angel joined in...awesome. Just when we think  it
can't get any more fun David Grisman slips in and pulls out  his
mandolin....

Wow!

Trip  Henderson
======
Elizabeth  wrote:

Thanks, Richard.  I'll go to Madcat's site now.  Though  not  harp
related, have u seen the mind blowing, jaw dropping  performance  of the
young  guy,
Jake Shimabukuro in NYC's Central  Park, playing  While My Guitar Gently
Weeps on
ukulele?
Simply  amazing and a must  see, imo.  U should  be able to view it  at
this site:   _http://www.collegehumor.com/movies/159572/_
(http://www.collegehumor.com/movies/159572/)
ron "

.....and I have absolutely fallen in love with Jake  Shimabukuro's
playing  in this video.  It's just gorgeous.   Thank you so much for posting
this!
He didn't need anything more than  the Central Park greenery behind  him,
his adorable self (he is too  cute!) and his  amazing musicianship on the
ukelele (I've never heard  one sound like that  before).  My only question is
if you
know if  he's still "only a college  student"?  I went to his website and he
has
at least four albums out...and  seems to be quite the toast of  Hawaii.
Fabulous discovery! Thanks  again.
Elizabeth"

.....Great story, Trip...and I'd love to learn more about Jake. I so wish I
could take credit for his "discovery" here...but it was CaptRon who first
posted the link to Jake playing in Central Park, in response  to Richard Hunter's
rave review of MadCat's Harp/Ukelele CD.  I'm  a big fan of MadCat's as
well....have heard him play his uke a bit off and  on, but now I can't wait to get
his new CD, as well as something by  Jake.  I have a whole new respect for the
 instrument.