Re: [Harp-L] u-block aka tongue curl (with an "Iceman" and D. Barrett reference)

Dennis, Norton Buffalo is a known U-Blocker.  he's got an instructional video on homespun tapes with u-block demos.  Although, it's kind of in passing, as in, this is how I play and do what I do.

Jim.

>>> dennis moriarty <dmoriarty@xxxxxxxxxx> 1/18/2006 9:47 AM >>>
Hi.  I no longer post very much but love to scan the submissions. A
recent post on u-blocking (aka tongue curling in the post) has me
indulgently interested. I have never been academic about the harp.
I'm 50 and started when I was about 16 0r 17. My tone has always been
sort of Butterfield like. It is quite deep organically and has been
my best feature. Some time ago I realized I play differently. Maybe
it was because I couldn't replicate other players well or one of D.
Barrett's Masterclasses sensitized me to it or an instructional tape/
book illustrated a typical tongue block. Then I read here about the u
(curled) block. So it seems I u-block very strong and unambiguous
single notes with a good tone and tongue block chords. Does anyone
have any sound samples of u vs. tongue-blocking. While I know that
learning tongue block extensively (and maybe some puckering which I
have always felt has a relatively anemic tone) would be musically
correct I would rather take the path of least resistance and maximize
my organic playing method. I guess there's no masterclass for u-
blockers. Interestingly, some years ago in San jose at what I think
was one of David Barretts first masterclasses I was hanging out with
a friend of Lee Oscar's and he insisted I sign up for the jam contest
in a local club. There must have been 40 or so contestants. I
remember "Iceman" won first place and I won third. 90 or more % of
the players were tongue blockers and there was this NYC imported u-
blocker. I think the reason I placed was because I was a little
different while retaining an authentic bluesey-tone. I still have my
Lee Oscar signed a-minor prize. As it turns out one of the "Icemans"
students (Brian of harpgear.com) is now building me an amp.     p.s.
Although it is not a value of mine to be a "speed" player I find u-
blocking keeps me pretty slow in my executions.      dennis