Re: [Harp-L] Boogie On, Reggae Woman

Very interesting. I had always assumed this was diatonic. Reading this thread, I was inspired to pick up the Stanley Turrentine CD. Nice stuff, great chrom solo on Boogie On with some almost diatonic-like bending. That in turn inspired me to listen to Stevie's original version again, which is very different and does sound like a diatonic, in my opinion not so much by what he does with it as what he doesn't do with it. But (and I know I'll get slammed for this) I think it could possibly be executed convincingly on a chrom (didn't think this until I tried).

Not being much of a diatonic player myself, I'd like to ask any diatonic players out there who happen to have the original recording at hand to go to the section starting around 4:20 into the tune. There's what sounds to me to be a half tone trill lick he repeats about six times in a row that I can't imagine executing on a diatonic. But then again, I'm pretty ignorant about diatonic.... If this can be done on a diatonic, then I agree it's a diatonic ;-).

BTW, I just downloaded "The Complete Stevie Wonder" from iTunes ($189). There is a wealth of previously unavailable harmonica solos in this collection of ~580 recordings. Will take a while to wade through it, but some of this stuff is priceless to chrom players, including 3 live versions of Alfie...

- Slim.

www.SlideManSlim.com <http://www.SlideManSlim.com>

Winslow Yerxa wrote:

Hate to rain on YOUR parade, smokey, but Boogie on Reggae Woman (at least Stevie's own recording of it,; can't speak to the Stanley Turrentine version that featured Stevie) is definitely diatonic, first position, played in the top octave with lots of blow bends. I'm not where I can check, but I seem to recall it was a G harp (Listening to a sample at amazon.com it comes out in Ab, like Smokey says).

Stevie doesn play diatonic on occasion. Other examples include an album with Herbie Hancock sometime in the 1980s where he played both chromatic and diatonic on the same tune, one after the other. It was fairly free-ranging stuff - not atonal , just more freely phrased than much of the pop-oriented stuff you usually hear from Stevie.

Winslow