Re: [Harp-L] Digitech Rp300 follow up

Claudio Brutti wrote:
********************
just a little follow-up, since some of you showed some interest in this
subject. Last thursday I went to the local weekly jam with the RP-300A.
The patches I prepared at home, the ones I found on the net made by
Richard Hunter and Chris Michalek, were still there, but I didn't have
the time to check their volume level. Therefore they weren't exactly
"ready to use", but with a little tweaking of the master volume I
managed to have four or five sounds quite usable. The ones I used the
most were the ones by Chris, based on a bassman simulation with some
distortion in them. I used also the one with a selectable octaver in it,
and I had a lot of fun, both during the soloes, and during the
background riffs.  A very "horn-like" situation! The Hunter's patches
were a little bit more esoteric, with more modulation effects, and with
a loud band, as it was last Thursday, they were not the best choice.
I've tried some of them on some jazzier tune with my chromatic, and they
sounded perfect, but I had some volume problem, so I switched back on
the bassman emulation and every thing went fine. I'll have to try again,
next time: at home, Richard's patches sounded very good. No feedback
problems with none of the patches (unlike the times I've tried to play
with a V-Amp) . I've played all the time with an SM-57.
**********************

Claudio, thanks for this detailed writeup.  You might try taking the
modulation effects off the patches I've posted to the web, and seeing
whether you like the underlying amp model setups.  The Blackface Phaser
setup works very well for lots of different rock and blues situations
when the phaser is taken off.

The patches I've posted for free aren't gain-matched, either, and are
also not optimized for a Shure SM57, so some tweaking might be necessary
to get the most out of your rig with them. But the RP, like a real amp,
responds to the mic you use, so anytime you switch mics you may need to
make adjustments to at least some of the patches.  The nice thing about
the RP is that it's a lot easier to tweak for different mics than a real
amp is.

Regards, Richard Hunter
hunterharp.com