[Harp-L] RE: bending using tongue-block (AKA shut up already, Dennis!)

Hi -

I wish I had more time to devote to this topic, but my
time is very limited this week as I get ready to teach
Jam Classes on the road with Richard Sleigh, and we
will both teach with the great Jon Gindick at his
Harmonica Jam Camp in Dallas, TX later this month as
well.

Oral report by players can be a way to learn this, but
at the risk of sounding slightly cynical, it is hard
to tell sometimes with the older generation of players
(most of whom are not around anymore) what is actually
part of the true story, and what is part of the
showmanship/legend/trade secret category. It is hard
to get certain basic details of some of their lives,
let alone their techniques that helped them become
recognized worldwide as masters of the harp. Aside
from this, we live in a day now where these things are
talked about, discussed, debated, and analyzed
intensely on international forums - available in
people's own homes! What is the norm today (analyzing
styles and detailed explanations of such) was not
always the norm, and some players don't even realize
what they are doing when they play. I don't pretend to
be best teacher out there, but I have worked hard at
examining what the masters have done, what I do, how I
do it, and how to explain it to others. This is
different than just working hard at playing.

This is a long way of saying the best way to tell what
those players did (in my opinion) is with a working
knowledge of the technique, coupled with good ear.
Oral tradition can help, but is not always consistent.
Besides the tell-tale signs to listen to
(tongue-lifts, tongue-slaps, octaves, etc...) the way
the phrasing flows during passages with these
techniques will tell you a lot as well.

I also did not mean that the TB overblow thing has
been done to death....just the TB/Pucker thing. Not
that I even mind getting into it, but I don't have
much time now to do that, and I hate to see it get
heated (nooooo.....here on Harp-L??!!)

I will repeat some of what I wrote someone
off-list....

I am not the best one to ask about what technically
happens when overblowing, but like my regular playing
(non-OB'ing) I find it easier to play TB now that I
have been doing it for a while. More comfortable, and
more controlled than if not TB'ing...and other TB
players also say this.

Similar to making the change from pucker bending to TB
bending. Most pucker players visualize the use of
their tongue in the technique of bending inaccurately,
hence the immediate thought "I can never bend if I
TB!"). The placement of the tongue (for this
argument's sake) is of not much consequence. The
technique of bending is what needs to be focused
on...how to get the correct pitch and manipulate your
playing/breathing/air chamber to get the desired
pitch.

Same with TB overblows. Of course, lots of practice is
needed, and good harps that are at least somewhat set
up for overblows. I play custom Marine Bands by Joe
Filisko & Richard Sleigh, but I set them up for
overblows myself, mostly because I need my harps to
respond to some harder techniques I use a lot with my
blues playing. Having said that, I regularly get TB
OB's on stock harps too, when I get my hands on one.

I appreciate the emails and questions, and I hope this
post is useful. Sometimes I don't have the time to get
too into it though...so I apologize.

Sorry for the long-winded email...!

See some of you on the road later this month.

-Dennis Greunling
www.dennisgruenling.com