[Harp-L] Re: What key harp for Country and for Minor?

At 03:48 PM 1/16/2006, Michael Peloquin wrote:

>I find that most minor keyed blues/rock/pop tunes tend to be in A, C & D
>minors.
>Jazz: C, F, Bb minors

Based upon Michael's suggestion Cm would be a good investment. I would purchase a harmonica that plays Cm in 2nd position. In the case of Lee Oskar this would be called a Cm harp and would play Fm in 1st position.

>I think that this is a myth. (i.e. overblws requiring custom harp)

In this case I will experiment. I just didn't want to waste time with an OOTB harp if the exercise would only prove frutile. I have Lee Oskars in most keys, but I have read that they are not the best for overblows. I have one Golden Melody in G, which I have read is easier to overblow/draw. So maybe I should practice there. I also have three Seydel Blues Sessions in three different keys, but I have not heard anything about their suitability for overblows.

>    * What key in Country tuning or Melody Maker
C, G, A, D, E (key of songs)

Again C wins.

Michael, thanks.

Now, does anyone have an opinion on whether to get the Country tuning or go with the Melody Maker tuning?

Thanks,
Paul