RE: [Harp-L] Tuning

From: Colin Fulton <justcolin@xxxxxxxxx>

I am wodering how much you can retune a reed with both methods used
(scraping off material and adding solder), can you get half steps,
whole steps or greater?

Tuning any reed upwards by scraping should be no problem for half-steps. The Paddy Richter retune that I carry out on all my diatonics involves raising a reed by a whole step. This also is no problem as the reed to be altered has a thickened end and therefore plenty of material to "play with." I have taken to using a tiny rotary drill for this rather than using a file. I haven't tried to flatten a reed by this much though - I suspect you'd have to be careful not to weaken its structure. I could be being over-cautious, but I think that a step-and-a-half or more and you're looking at adding solder. I await the superior input of the experts.

Steve

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trad_irish_harmonica HEAR my CD clips: http://www.gjk2.com/steveshaw/cd.htm READ review of my CD: http://www.irishmusicreview.com/sshaw.htm