Re: [Harp-L] Another Man Done Gone

Hi Steve,
I dig what you're saying. I am one to go back further than whats the best
amp and harp to play when it comes to blues - in fact I probably read more
about blues than I do actually practicing my harmonica riffs. I too love
going back to try and get a feeling for the how, why, and whens about the
blues. And while theres often debate about the whos, whens and whys of the
blues nothing has succeeded in keeping quiet an important story from being
told. We who enjoy the blues and play it only help to keep their story alive
and visible to the world, while adding our own signature experience with the
blues.

Indeed Vera Hall's website is amazing with alot of info.

If you care to take a listen to a snippet of her take on the song go to this
link:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00000IN37/002-3120204-5701628?v=glance&n=5174

Vera reminds us that when all is said and done the natural voice is the best
instrument one can access [imo] and one doesn't have to be able to sing well
at all. When someone has a story of truth and they have the passion to share
it then their voice will find whats needed to portray that message. Vera,
however has the most beautiful voice.

The cd I have mentioned can also be found here:
http://www.loc.gov/shop/index.php?action=cCatalog.showItem&cid=13&scid=70&iid=842

I see Rick in NZ's post has also reminded me/us of John Mayalls cut of the
song "Another Man Done Gone". Yes I've heard this one too and it ain't bad
at all.

The first time I heard Sugar Blue's take on the song I was living at a boys
hostel while learning the carpentry trade. A friend had this album, "Blues
Explosion". A live recording at Montreux Jazz Festival 1982. See this site
of John Hammond's cds, see cd # 30:
http://www.wirz.de/music/hammofrm.htm

I've not found this cd around since then and would love to hear it again.
Sugar Blues performance from what I remember had everything a live
performance can offer.

Keep the blues alive...its a story that will be (re)told.

Nate in the Blues Room