Re: [Harp-L] Bluegrass or Celtic workshops?

Augusta has a bluegrass workshop session.  You may want to bug them to begin
to include harmonica and see if you don't get them to answer.  They have a
few options of people to teach the workshop for them that are sort of in the
area or might be easily be brought in:  Bob Meehan, PT Gazell, etc.

Here in Texas, the Hill Country Acoustic Music Camp (www.hcamp.com) is
including the harmonica in its teaching program this year.  It is a bit like
the Augusta workshop, though probably a bit more like Camp Bluegrass (
www.campbluegrass.com), since many of the folks involved have been involved
with Camp Bluegrass.  It will be held in mid-June on the Schreiner
University campus in Kerrville, Tx.  I will be teaching the class.  (Of
course, I would recommend you attend this workshop.)

If you can attend the SPAH (www.spah.org) conventions, there is usually a
nice bluegrass/Americana music seminar produced by Tulsa Read.  Each year I
have been there, the seminar has done well.  It is my understanding that
Tulsa has always put on a good seminar on this subject.  Last year's
Americana seminar was stellar with Jelly Roll Johnson, P T Gazell, Tony
Eyers, Charlie McCoy, Tulsa, and me.  There were over 90 in attendance
and several folks told me that these seminars had gotten them to think a
little differently about playing bluegrass and encouraged them to try.

If you wish to meet others with an interest specifically in
bluegrass/celtic/etc. music on the harmonica, there is an off-shoot from
this list called bluegrassharp (
http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/bluegrassharp/) that you are free to
visit or join.  I don't recommend that you completely leave this list, of
course, but the other list focuses directly on the type of music in which
you have expressed an interest.  (Actually, bluegrassharp is only so active,
so you won't get slammed with email by joining it.  Ask a question and it
will come alive, though.)  I receive both lists at the same address and just
sort between them.

There are sometimes smaller bluegrass/celtic/folk harmonica workshops at
bluegrass, celtic, or harmonica festivals or in the local area of someone
capable of conducting such a workshop.  Keep your eyes open for them, too.

I hope this information has been helpful.  I always want to encourage those
who wish to try their hand at playing bluegrass and such on the harmonica.

Cara Cooke
www.cyberharp.isonfire.com