[Harp-L] List demeanor

One of the problems with e-mail is the immediacy it can offer.  We're all
very used to being able to instantly communicate our thoughts and feelings
via the keyboard.  What people can forget about harp-l is that it is a
1300 plus subscriber e-mail list with publicly accessible archives hosted
in multiple locations.  A moment's fit of rage is archived interminably on
the internet.  The results will be search able within days of a posting.
We've had a rash of people using this list to lash out at each other.
This is an unacceptable usage of harp-l.  It will always result in your
future postings being held for moderation.  When commerce is involved the
problem is even more vexing.  A self indulgent post can tarnish someone's
reputation for life, it can also reflect poorly on your own internet
image.  Any post worth sending can always wait a day to go out.  Count to
10 and then some before you send a post in anger.  If you sleep on it and
it still seems like a good idea to post it to the list then go for it.
More than 50% of all of my list posts never see the light of day.  I type
them then delete them.  I find the process cathartic.  fjm
harp-l-listowner