RE: [Harp-L] SBII Keep It To Ourselves Question

Bill Hines writes:
I was just listening to this unbelievable cd again and had a question. Twice on the CD he makes an odd sound, I don't think it's the harp but with SBWII you never know. It could be some funky bend/compression thing. The first one is at 1:18 of "I Can't Understand" and the second time (more subtle) is at 1:34 of "When the Lights Went Out". Anyone know what that is? A vocal effect I think. Maybe a belch, haha.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Hi Bill,
You're right -- it's a vocal effect, not the harp. He's just muttering a vocal phrase (like "uhhh") in both cases (albeit more pronounced on "Can't Understand.")
I also think it's interesting when on the first track (The Sky Is Crying) at 1:25 when he coughs up some phlegm and tries to clear his throat and keeps singing through it, pretty gross but it's real, what can you say. Lends itself to the "sonny boy in your living room" aura. Some of what maybe Robbie Robertson of the band describes in The Last Waltz when he talks about their chance meeting with SBWII one night, and he was playing and spitting in a can and they realized it was blood.
At that spot (actually 1:27 of track 1 on my CD copy,) there is a noise there, but I'm not altogether convinced it's a cough... it certainly *could* be a cough -- to my ear maybe 60% chance -- but it also sounds almost as likely that SB (or Murphy) might've bumped into a mic...(?) In any case it's directly on the beat, meaning SB (or Murph) was rhythmically correct even when in error! <g>

Good ear, man. GREAT CD, too, underrated and relatively underappreciated...

cheers and happy harpin',

Tom Ball
Santa Babs