[Harp-L] IAJE mini report - Hendrik Muerkins and Gregoire Maret

Happily, this year's convention has attracted a few harmonica players.

Hendrik is in a Vendor's Booth networking and promoting his latest Brazilian music CD along with other releases on the same label (I'll have the name of the CD and label in a future posting).

Having worked this convention for 16 years, most of the music, to my ears, is pretty predictable, although of a tremendously high standard. It takes something special to "wake me up" during the concerts.

A few years ago it was Nnenna Freelan's set. Kenny Werner always gives good seminar.

On Thursday afternoon, I walked into a show by Lionel Louke and his trio - Gilfema. Lionel is an acoustic guitarist/vocalist from a tiny W. African Nation - Benin. His style of playing and singing, along with his rhythmic sensibilities, is very refreshing and exciting. The bonus was the young chromatic harmonica player who happened to "sit in" on the set  -  Gregoire Maret.

Unlike what I heard at Dallas SPAH, Gregoire's playing was fuller and not so busy (as a beehive). This music was something special. The set was wonderful and very well received. However, because Lionel is somewhat of an unknown name, the audience could have (and should have) been larger.

The Iceman