[Harp-L] The Warren Bee Report

 Hey Gang,

I just got back from an incredibly fun gig at the world famous BOOT HILL
SALOON in downtown Daytona Beach, FL. I got a call a few weeks ago from a
drummer friend who was putting together a band for a benefit show to help
out a few families that had some recent heartache. I had to say no at first
as my budget has been real tight as of late, but then good ol' Rick says he
will cover all travel expenses! What then could I say but yes! My friend is
a southern rocker and I will be honest with you..I was not real excited
about the proposed set-list, much less the volume level his boys prefer!
Rehersals were horrificically loud and stressful for me as they took place
in a single wide trailer in the boondocks of northern Fl.! 3 hour drive each
way to have my ears blown out, lotsa fun. I did manage to get a few songs
changed in the set list. Well anyway the gig happened this past Sunday and
that's when the fun finally began! It starts off by my finding out that the
guy running sound for the benefit was an old friend that I have jammed with
in my past Florida life. He is a real pro. I also was lucky enough to borrow
a good tube amp for the job from another Florida friend, mic'ed up I would
be able to hold my own. So now I am here at the gig and here come the biker
guys, biker chics and other assorted party folks! All of the other bands
scheduled had cancelled out so it was quickly turning into an open jam and
my friend Ricks band. My musical fun started with getting to play a set with
Ruben the sound guy. Some acoustic and electric pop, rock, blues and other
tasty nuggets. All of the sudden comes a man from the crowd with a
bag-o-harps..non other than a guy from the HARP-L lurkers club! PAUL from
CT. I forget his last name, sorry Paul, but he was real cool and I welcomed
him to the harmonica set-up that I had rigged for his wailing pleasure. And
boy did he play some fine tasty licks! He got a chance to play a few tunes
and I enjoyed every second. He has fine tone and as I already said sweet
licks! The crowd loved it and so did I, both for his playing and a chance to
hear the sound from out front. Thanks Paul from CT. Anyway, the place is
getting nice and crowded by now and I get the chance to ham it up on the mic
yelling out raffle ticket winners etc and hyping up the benefit part of the
event. Rubin the sound guy was very happy to see me take over his duties as
MC, he had no interest! I was psyched cause I was seeing a lot of old
friends and I was with a woman, a very cool woman that I had just met
earlier in the week(another story all together!) Anybody that knows me knows
the best place for me is away from the bar and on stage, less potential
disaster and lots-o- laughs. I was having a blast and so was the crowd. All
the jammers were sounding fine and having a great time getting' it on. Then
it's time for the "band" , I am fired up and ready and so were they. Being
on that stage with them was so much better than in a single wide :-), trust
me! We open up with a "Give Me 3 Steps" then follow with a "Tush" ,
ahhhhhhhh the sound was great and I was smokin' as good as I can smoke (on
the harp that is) I sat down for a Ted Nugent song and came back for a very
cool "Sweet Jane" ( my idea!) The rest of the set was: "Pink Houses",
"Stormy Monday", "Honky Tonk Woman", "Simple Man", "Come Together",
"Shooting Star", "Rock Me Baby" and a finale of "Rockin' in the Free World"
( I sat out for that one, no need for harp)  The place was packed and they
really had a good time..so good a number of biker babes did the "pull up
their shirt thang!" It was one of my most memorable gigs for sure! What a
long strange trip last week was!

I am playing a gig this Friday night in Lindenhurst out here on Long Island.
Acoustic duo, with my finger picking friend Buddy. Would love to see some
more harp-lers come and check it out. The bar is OASIS on Wellwood Ave.

That's it.just felt like sharing today.

W Bee