Re: [Harp-L] Stolen!! case of harps and mics

On Jan 6, 2006, at 7:43 PM, EGS1217@xxxxxxx wrote:

Interestingly enough, I did recently buy a mic engraved with someone's name.
The Seller seemed very open, and it's most likely that the original owner
just let it go, but how can I really be sure?

Elizabeth

Paraphrasing Shakespeare, what's in a name? Probably not a lot when it comes to recovering stolen gear. It's arguably better to engrave our valuables with our drivers license number (with state abbreviation, i.e. CA N0261916). Police use d/l numbers to ID stolen goods, ergo items marked with drivers license numbers are harder to sell (a two edged sword). If your home, car, case, etc., are marked accordingly (i.e. Neighborhood Watch decals - "WARNING: All valuables marked for identification and can be traced by police"), it may cut our risk of theft. Electric engravers are inexpensive. Be careful using these on crystal microphones. The vibrations could possibly damage the element. Solution: remove the element before engraving the shell.

--IronMan Mike Curtis
ironmanmc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx