Fwd: [Harp-L] Pulmonary Function and playing the harp

On Jan 9, 2006, at 7:19 PM, samblancato wrote:

Hi Guys,

I thought I'd relate something I learned about my lungs lately that I'd bet
is probably true of most of you guys (and girls) as well.

Recently underwent a sleep study to see if I have sleep apnea, which I do,
and I had to have a pulmonary function test as well. What I found out from
the pulmonary function test is that I function at 130%, which means that I
test 30% above the average for my age. I don't' know if this is a lot for
or a little- I'm sure athletes do way better- but I'd have to say it's my
playing the harp that is one of the things responsible for it. The test
measures things like exhale pressure, inhale pressure, how many liters you
displace and how much oxygen you use from the breath you take in. I'm sure
playing improves all of this stuff so this type of thing is probably true
for most of us harp players.

Yes Sam, the late Dr. Henry (Hank) Bahnson, who was from your neck of the woods btw (Dorseyville Rd. Fox Chapel) did such a study around 1990. I had known him since the mid 60s when I did some re-modeling on his home. But it wasn't until around 89, when he heard Howard Levy that he decided to do a study and with Howard's help they ran all sorts of x-rays, angiograms, and whatever else doctors do. Don't know if that 'paper' was ever finished but (I think?) he was in league with a Dr. James Antaki (Mt. Royal Blvd, Shaler).

From the other end of things, I've been spending a lot of time at the gym in
the past 3 months and have found I have better breath control in my playing
while at the same time I'm more relaxed when I play.

Well you don't smoke. I do and still have 100% for a 63 yr old. Maybe I should quit now while I'm ahead.

So what I'm seeing here is this: If you do aerobic exercises your playing
will improve but playing also improves your breathing- I think this is
called a positive feedback loop, a good thing.

Sam Blancato, Pittsburgh

I think this depends on WHAT you play Sam. I think a diatonic improves your breathing (especially if you practice Mike Stevens type stuff). I don't believe chromatic does anything for you as it is a subtle instrument and unless you play a lot in draw keys, you wouldn't increase your lung capacity.

(smokey) Joe Leone, North Port Fla/formerly Sharpsburg