[Harp-L] Re: Jason Ricci's heart

Cara Cooke <cyberharp@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Perhaps you should take your opportunity to recipricate on another occasion
> when a better opportunity arises.

the nice thing about a good deed is that you don't need to reciprocate, at
least not directly...

many years ago, i was walking down the street and encountered a stranded
motorist.  his muffler was dragging on the ground; he and his wife were in
formal wear, staring hopelessly at it.  i went home and got some wire and
wired the thing up so they could get home (had lots of experience from
my own junker cars).  when he tried to pay me, i refused.  i told him,
"someday when you see someone in trouble, stop and help them out,
and then we'll be even".  it felt *good*.

since then, i've made a habit of stopping to help whenever i can.  i always
end with my little speech, and tell them to pass the obligation to the next
person.  i like to think that in some tiny way it makes the world a little better.

the last time this happened was last year.  i helped a guy push his car out
of a muddy ditch.  when i told him to help someone else, he said, "i do that,
every chance i get".  i said, "well, i guess i'm your reward."  we both left
happy, albeit muddy.

> My biggest pet peeve with news and lists today is, when someone has an axe
> to grind, they tell the world -- but their compliments and the good
> news often remains unheard and unpublicized.

indeed.  if you're willing to complain, you should be just as willing to commend.

as for harp content: jason once told me that the reason he likes to help
people learn harp is that so many people helped him along the way, and
he feels like he should give some back.

----
Garry Hodgson, Technical Consultant, AT&T Labs

do for others with no desire of return.
we should all plant some trees
we will never sit under.