Re: [Harp-L] Stolen!! case of harps and mics

I lived this scenario twice last year.  Mike has my sympathy.  However, do
not expect the police to have any clue what to look for.  I had to help my
investigation along however I could.  We did find a fellow who was trying to
sell used harmonicas back to a music store, even though it is against the
law, but were unable to actually bring him in and tag him with anything.  My
understanding of things is that the harmonicas become a sort of bargaining
currency for more drugs and such if they seem neat enough.  But they are
ridiculously difficult to track down and then match up to anything with the
police.  Mike may have more luck with the pawn shops and the other equipment
if there were any serial numbers, etc.  The worst part of it for me was I
could not get anything back once it was found unless I had the original
receipt to prove that the particular item found was mine (an impossibility
with many items, such as harmonicas, especially if you have had some of them
for 30 years).

Whatever Mike can do to help the police look for his stuff, and whatever we
all can do to keep an eye out for his stuff, is the only chance Mike will
have of ever seeing his stuff again.  I ended up having to replace
everything off the shelf for my next gigs and am still in the process of
rebuilding.  (In the second theft, the thief actually stole my replacement
set, rather than a rich collection like was originally stolen.)

I hope Mike is able to get some of his equipment back.

Cara