-----Original Message-----
From: Dan <billybudd1313@xxxxxxxxx>
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx

  The two fundamental exercises that begin every lesson are "long counts" and
another who's name varies from person to person.  For the long counts, you expel
all of your air, and the counting begins.  Your chest does not move, and your
lower abdomen expands (it's crazy how much) while the teacher counts.  You try
to draw a thin stream of air down, always down.  Counting pace is about1.5 sec.
per number.  So you inhale until you hit "your number" (I'm on 31 right now).

  Once you hit the number, you begin the exhale.  The goal is to reach 3 counts
higher than the inhale.  So, I move on when I breathe OUT for 35.  Then my
number will be 32.

  For the second exercise, you must expel all of your air first, then you
breathe in for a ten count.  You then hold for a ten count, exhale for a ten
count, then hold EMPTY for a ten count.  You must repeat this full cycle three
times in a row if possible.