[Harp-L] Re: [HarpTalk] Digest Number 2584 (Seydel Hochlandsklange Report)

Hello. This is a report on the Seydel Hochlandsklange (Highlandsound)
harmonica. I've had my Highlandsound harp for about 3 weeks now, so I can report
that its construction is high quality, and the sound is beautiful.

The Hochlandsklange is a diatonic instrument, not a chromatic, sold  in G
major only. It isn't a tremolo or octave harp. It has harmony notes  plus the
melody notes (two notes per vertical cell), usually in 3rds  or 6ths (interval
distances between notes), but also has a few holes with 5ths  intervals.

Seydel numbers the holes as 1-20 on the Seydel website note chart. There  are
no hole numbers on the Hochlandsklange covers. I prefer to call it a 10-hole
harmonica, as in the Hohner tremolo and octave harps hole system.

On its tremolo and octave harps, Hohner defines a "cell" as  a pair of
vertically positioned reeds, and Hohner calls a "hole" two  consecutive cells, one
blow, the next draw. It's easier to learn, if you  imagine that it's a 10-hole
single reed diatonic, with a new note system.

Since it's a unique harp, with a unique note placement system, it takes
quite a lot of
practice to become familiar with its note placement system. At first, I had
trouble playing it, searching for a tonal center ("do").

If you want to play a G major scale ascending and descending, "do" is
located at the Seydel note chart's hole #7 (Hohner system hole #4), and goes to
Seydel note chart hole #13 (Hohner system hole #7).

The Hochlandsklange has an instruction sheet included, in German, but  Seydel
also has information about it on their website. Go to "tremolo  harmonicas",
and read the Hochlandsklange note chart and instructions  in English.

Reading the note charts was slowing down my progress, so I put them away,
and used my ears to find "do." Playing a single line melody was easiest, for
starting on the harp. There are spots on the harp where the note placement goes
to the left on ascending scales, and to the right on descending scales,
similar  to some manufacturers' tremolo harps, but contrary to most single reed
(per  note) diatonic and chromatic harmonicas.

After becoming more familiar with the single note positions, add the  second
reed in the cell to the melody. It's easier than trying to play both  reeds
without single note preparation.

This harmonica is a joy to play. I'm learning new songs every day. I've  been
playing all the tunes in G major, and next I'll look for tunes in E minor,
and the other modes. It will take a long time to feel comfortable on this
instrument, but it's worth the effort. It can expand your harmonica repertoire
into new territory. John Broecker, Milwaukee Harmonica  Club.