[Harp-L] Re: there's the Blues and then there's the Blues

Dear Elizabeth and List,

  From my experience as a blues student, I see the blues definition of "blue=sad therefore blues = sad music" as a common misconception.

  To quote B.B. King from "Live in San Quentin" :

   "Well, Blues to me is something like, whatever ails you. You can make something out of whatever it is. If you want to make it bluesy, it can be fun and still be bluesy.  It's just a type of music we call blues."

  What B.B. is telling us is that blues is just a category, or name placed on a fairly broad, yet often identifiable type of music.  The lines between rock and roll, jazz, funk, country, folk. . .(other musical categories) are gray.

  There are a lot of sad subjects addressed in blues music.  There's also a lot of positive messages too.  For example, bragging songs (Hoochie Coochie Man) or Love songs like "Sweet Little Angel" come to mind.  You can also find sad, mournful songs throughout other music forms.

  I think music and art in general  is about expression.  It's a way to help us deal with emotions; whether it's painting, dance, music, or film.  We take care of our physical needs, but then we must feed our souls.

  The "blues = sad" stereotype bugs me, because it turns people off sight unseen.  Worse yet is the "blues=boring" stereotype.  We could write a book about how these stereotypes got started later.

  The blues is a release.  It's a party after hard work.  It's solace after heartache.  It's love and joy expressed with notes.. .  all within a form.

  So, for me personally, I play better when times are tough.  My anger, or sadness, or frustrations with life leave me for a while, and come out the harp.  It heals.  It entertains.  It lives.

  Dan G.

  Message: 3