Re: [Harp-L] Adler-- Exaggerations?

LesleyAnn wrote:
"I just couldn't pass up the comment about exaggerating movements and
motives. Some of us truly feel our music, and for us not to express it
as a whole body experience seems impossible. I am sorry if some are
using it as a gimmick."

Nothing that comes from the heart is ever a gimmick, whether it's demure
or outrageous.  Audiences always respond to showmanship, and there's
nothing wrong with that.  T-Bone Walker was a great player, but he was
also a great showman, and that had a lot to do with his strong influence
as a player.

Where harp is concerned, as I've said before, the player's face is
blocked from view.  (Imagine a B.B. King performance where you couldn't
see his face!)  So it's even more important to use the rest of the body
to get the message across to the audience.

And by the way -- harp players, when you do your publicity photos,
please, please don't let the photographer click the shutter when you're
actually playing.  Nobody who sees one of those photos will ever have
any idea of what you really look like. Take the harp out of your face
and smile for the camera.  We'll all be glad you did, and your fans in
particular will be able to recognize you even when you're not on stage.

Regards, Richard Hunter
hunterharp.com