[Harp-L] Re: Travel, Harmonicas, Respect

    Just some additional commentary on traveling with Harmonicas and I should point out this is only my opinion and I totally respect other players ways of dealing with it.

    I too in the past, have on occasion been interrogated about my instrument and even asked to play it at airport security and I did.

    However, as I travel more & more internationally, my attitude is changing, I no longer find it CUTE that they want me to play a song and frankly after they've totally disheveled my neatly packed bags, that's the LAST thing I'm in the mood for. I know, I know....your saying "lighten up".. the security folks are only doing their jobs. But it's THE WAY they do it and their LACK of courtesy (not ALL but LOTS).

     It also makes me feel like I'm giving in to the inconveniences that the pea-brain terrorist' have created.

    More & more since 911, I feel the whole "Joy of Travel Vibe" has been lost to the threat and fear of terrorism. I was talking to guitarist Steve Cropper about this at an airport in India last week. After being treated irrational. rude and inconsiderate from the airlines to the security crew trip after trip, your tolerance starts to diminish. We both agreed that AIR travel used to be an enjoyable experience and there was a 'common courtesy' amongst the traveler and the workers. We were saddened by the fact that in "our lifetimes" we would NEVER see it anything like the way it WAS.

    I don't mean to get political on-list here, but this IS directly related to Harps, Airports and "the times" in which we live.

     I decided I will not LOWER myself, I'm a musician NOT a clown, if they want confiscate my harmonicas so be it, if they want to hear me PLAY, they'll have pay $ and come to my show. I never saw any other instrumentalist treated this way and the harmonica in my eyes, deserves much more respect. These are not weapons or dangerous items what are they trying to prove, other than amuse themselves or humiliate me.......

  and BTW how come they let Guitarists carry Guitar strings on board? they do!! I've seen it! Gtr Strings are an excellent device to strangle someone with but they always seems to make it past security (go figure?)........
  end of jaded rant,-))))!!!

  All the best,
  Rob "The Jaded post 911 Traveler-tired of suckin' it up" Paparozzi