Subject: RE: [Harp-L] re: was Adler now hands

Robert writes:

"I wonder if he's using the extraneous hand motions for show or if it's  just
from the emotion of the music.  I find sometimes when I'm playing  with a
tight band (all too rare I might add), that I'll often take a hand off  the
harp, unconsciously, and sort of direct the beat of the band.  When  I'm
playing alone, while I do a lot of hand motions that (I hope) affect  the
sound coming out, I do others, again unconsciously, that are just  from
actually playing and enjoying the music.
Maybe it's a little bit of  both for Larry Adler.
Robert Gaustad"

....well, I'm about as much of an amateur as one can get, Robert,  usually
playing alone with no accompaniment or to CD's or the  Radio and I too have
found myself many times taking one hand off the  instrument and unconsciously
directing the music.  It's usually when  I'm quite caught up in the emotions of
the song.  I would never  have admitted this 'cept for your post.  Now I don't
feel quite so much of  an oddity :)
Thanks!
Elizabeth