From: harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Jp Pagan
Sent: Wednesday, February 15, 2006 12:02 PM
To: harp-l harp-l
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] re: was Adler now hands

this may be true, but it looks to me like Adler undoubtedly used some hand
motions purely for show. as an example, there's a moment in which he holds
his hands on either side of the harmonica, fingers flared wide like he has
an octopus coming out of his face.
those fingers, way out there, are probably not, imo, doing anything for the
sound. i say this without having conducted any experiments or being an
expert in chromatic harmonica playing. it's also obvious some of his other
movements were important to the sound and brilliant players like Bonfiglio
and the late, great Douglas Tate have talked about the importance of hand
resonance.
so, in sum - some hand momvements make a difference to the sound, some just
make a difference to the audience. that's my opinion, anyway.

  --Jp