[Harp-L] Re: <modes>

Hi Chris,

Well explained post.  I know Howard Levy has good examples of modes
(particularly for diatonic) on his video New Directions for Harmonica, if
anyone is looking for samples.

I liked your clips as well as the aforementioned song "Say Say Say".  I
always wondered who played the harp on that tune.

On the locrian mode, you're right that it's not used often by itself.   It
is sometimes used in jazz, usually in a minor ii V i progression.  If the ii
V i  is in C minor, then the chords are Dm7b5 G7 Cm.  The D locrian mode
will fit over the first chord - that is, taking the notes from an Eb major
scale.

So that would be:

D Eb F G Ab Bb C F
1 b2 b3 4 b5 b6 b7 8

Form a chord from that = D F Ab C = Dm7b5!

In practice, this would usually be done only if there was enough time -
otherwise, C harmonic minor could be used over the entire ii V i.

All the best,
Eugene
Don't git me talkin' about melodic minor modes...