Re: [Harp-L] Bolt on Reeds

----- Original Message ----- From: "samblancato" <samblancato@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 5:32 PM
Subject: [Harp-L] Bolt on Reeds

As long as people are talking about bolting on reeds can anyone tell these
two things: 1 what size of bolt do you use to do this and 2, if R Farrell
isn't around where can you get them and get the little nit driver you need
to put them on? The size is important as I have no idea abut the sizing of
those things. It seems you'd need a punch that size too to knock out the
rivet and all.

Farrell used a flathead 00-90 screw inserted from the back side with a nut over the reed. This requires countersinking the far side of the plate for the screw head and a special driver for tightening the nut.

I have used 0-80 screws with the head of the screw on the reed and the rivet hole tapped. This requires an 0-80 tap and a pin vise to hold it. An ordinary tap wrench is too big and klunky. The rivet hole can be tapped without any diameter change. The hole in the reed must be enlarged. I tapped the hole in the reed, then tightened a SS screw in the hole until it stripped the brass threads. This also requires grinding off the part of the screw that protrudes from the far side of the plate.

For a punch, I have used a short piece of #68 drill rod chucked in my drill press. You need a piece of material drilled to accept the head of the rivet to back up the plate. The place where the hole is in the backup needs to be raised about .020 so the reedplate doesn't bridge on the adjacent rivet heads and cause the plate to spring downward. It all gets complicated.

I have also used a C-clamp-like press of my own design to force the rivet out. It all gets a little complicated.

One of the German websites has tools and tutorials for replacing reeds.

You can get most of the hardware from http://www.mcmaster.com/

Vern