[Harp-L] Bolted-on reeds

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tim Moyer" <wmharps@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 11:17 AM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Bolt-on reeds...

> George Leung wrote:
>> Yeah, I know that you can get it customize... but do you think
>> that we will see bolt-on reeds from the factories anytime soon,
>> considering that after so much pleas, Hohner finally made a screw
>> assembly 270, and may make a CX-16 for 2008, but personally I
>> prefer the use of bolt on reeds.

> Tim Moyer

With the proper tools, changing riveted reeds isn't a big deal.  I am familiar with two types of tools:

1. The most common type is the "knockout" tool consisting of a punch in a frame.  You tap it with a hammer to remove or replace the rivet.
2. The screw press is also fairly common.  This is a C-clamp where you turn a screw to force the rivet out or back in. I have made several of these that I and a couple of friends use.
In both cases you use a small-diameter tip (a little less than rivet diameter) to remove the rivet and a broad tip (a little larger than rivet-head diameter) to insert one. A sharp-pointed tip can spread or set a rivet.

The bolted/screwed-on reed has the disadvantage that tighteneng the nut or screw tends to rotate or misalign the reed with respect to its slot. An 0-80 screw or stud is a little too large for the hole in the reed and must be slightly enlarged.  A 00-90 screw or stud is a little too small and allows some slop in reed position that requires a bit of fiddling for alignment.

With a rivet, you can fasten the reed in place and then rotate it for alignment. The technicians that I know rarely use screws for reed replacement.  I own an old Farrell  plastic "Lifetime Comb" Hard Bopper with bolted-on reeds and have found few advantages for that feature.

Vern
Visit Hands-Free-Chromatic.7p.com