RE: [Harp-L] Re: Groove Tongue Emboucher

Jim writes:
"If what I learned in high school biology is correct, it is genetic.
50% of the population can curl their tongues, the rest can't."

Yes, that is a fact, but that trait doesn't necessarily mean you cannot
use groove tongue as an embechoure. The rolling of the tongue is
probably best left as a demonstration technique, because, the actual
means of using groove tongue only means that you are tongue blocking
both right and left, and allowing air to hit a single note over the top
(or middle area) of the tongue that lays on (comes in contact) the harp.

I call it U-Blocking. This was the way I learned to play. There's
certainly nothing wrong with learning how to left tongue block, right
tongue block, and pucker as embecoures. I can use them all. They
certainly apply in many playing situations.

Don't be put off by a genetic predisposition. You can use your cheeks to
help you force the air over the middle of your tongue to hit a single
note. When you do that, try some tongue slaps - see where it all takes
you.