[Harp-L] Re: Need travel tips to Europe

Dennis asked:
"Can I bring my bullet mic as a carry on European airlines?"

If you think there'll be a problem with a bullet, why not just bring along a Shure 545S "pistol grip" mic instead? ;-) They'd LOVE that! In all seriousness, I think airport security will definitely take a closer look once your bag goes through the x-ray. They're certain to pull it out and ask you about it. Once they see it's just a mic, will they let it go through? (It is a heavy hunk of metal, afterall, and we all know what a threat harmonica terrorism is! Remember Gus-ama bin Laden!) Answer: Most likely. Whether or not you decide to bring it, really just depends on your tolerance for this kind of inquiry. If you're going to be in a huge hurry (or tend to lose your temper in situations like this), I'd recommend bringing a different mic (SM57 perhaps) or stowing the bullet in your checked luggage.
You should have seen the look on the face of the x-ray tech in Miami the time I was flying with my Harp Commander, a few cords, a JT-30 and a bunch of harps all stowed together in a shaving kit! You can imagine how that bundle looks on an x-ray! She pulled it out and asked me what it was. I told told her and she commented on how cool the mic looked (kudos to mic guru Dave Kott!). Stuffed the whole thing back into my suitcase and I was on my way.
Other travel tips: Pack light. Bring lots of Alka Seltzer if you intend to sample the local libations. Try to hook up with fellow Harp-Lers for a beer if not a jam session.
MN