RE: [Harp-L] "jazz instruments"

My 2 cents is that the harmonica has been a jazz instrument, played in
the musical context of jazz - for quite some time now. First define what
jazz is, and I am sure you'll find the harmonica meeting quite a bit of
that criteria in the history of recorded music, that is. And if "jazz"
started after the turn of the 20th century, then there are examples of
harp players of every stripe who've put their best foot forward, and
apparently - not too concerned with the idea that what they use to
communicate their musical ideas with is "just" a harmonica.

If I can feel the vibe - then intonation is acceptible to me.

The music I am listening to right now is "Ornithology" - a 1948 version
covered on a chromatic harmonica by Dany Kane. It qualifies as jazz to
me.

I would bet that the harmonica has been present in the jazz scene as
long as their has been jazz. It's not new.