[Harp-L] Pandora.com

I wonder if you folks are hip to this new website called Pandora.com?   It's
a brilliant concept, which provides a both a great way to listen to music
while you're working at the computer and a means of discovering new artists in
genres that you enjoy.  And it's completely idiot-proof, which is an asset  for
me...You simply go to the website and type in the name of a musician or a
song in the space provided.  If you choose a specific artist, they play a  tune
by him (or her or them or whatever), followed by a related song by another
artist, based on a system they call "musical genomes"--specific characteristics
of rhythm, melody, style, etc.  If you choose a song, they won't play that
actual one but another that they've chosen, via the same method.  It sounds
more complicated than it is.  But for example I just typed in "Nat  Adderley,"
got a great tune by him, followed by equally cool stuff from Hampton  Hawes,
Jackie MacLean, and Thad Jones.  Last night I did the same with "Lee  Morgan"
and got stuff by Charlie Mingus, Art Blakey, etc.  Now I typed in  "Paul
Butterfield" and got his version of "Walkin' Blues," which they're  following with
Canned Heat, and--curiously--a bluesy cut by 13th Floor  Elevators...Essentially
what you're doing is creating your own radio-station for  the moment, which
you can instantly change by typing in another artist or  song in whatever mood
you're in.  Other features, like saving tunes,  are available for a price.  As
a means of creating a soundtrack for  your work at the computer--and for
discovering new music--it can't be  beat.
I should add that this site is 100% ethical and legal and operates with the
very happy participation of the record companies, which are making tons of
money  from listeners' discoveries on the website.

Peace and Respect,
Johnny T