Re: [Harp-L] re: a question

Hi JR,

    I have heard Howard play in all 12 Keys on a "A" Filisko Diatonic.
We did a show two years ago for "Harpin' Help" in South Belmar, NJ
(USA).....
I drove and he showed me that he was only going to bring in
2 - 'A' Harps to the venue (one would be a backup).

    The setlist was 12 Standards, I don't have the list off hand, but the
idea was to
keep each STANDARD in it's original key ie: Wave-D, Meditation-C, Black
Orpheus Am, Giant Steps-B etc, etc
I was on stage and even sang a few of these so I witnessed it first hand. It
was just Howard and Matt King an excellent Jazz Pianist in a duo setting.
I'll try and get a copy of the setlist and keys and I get a chance.

     Some may say "oh that's just a parlor trick", but on that
Sunday....Howard played and executed ALL the tunes meticulously, soulfully -
totally professionally sounding.......I listened like everyone in that room
and heard great MUSIC....IMO he transcended all the aforementioned issues
and left us with a beautiful & masterful performance.

Howard's playing is requested by some of the "Heaviest" names in the Music
Biz, so he must be doing something right,-) He IMHO, he has opened WORLDS
for the Diatonic. Much like Larry Adler did for Legit Chromatic and Toots
did for Jazz Chromatic and Little Walter & Paul Butterfield did for Blues
Diatonic and Stevie did for Funk Chromatic.

Chromatic conceptualiztion and execution on the Diatonic is NOT an easy
task, it requires a different set of rules, techniques and LOTS of practice
not unlike most instruments, they all have their strengths and weakness'.
Whether or not the world (the listener or producer) is ready for this is
TOTALLY up to the player and it looks likes alot of these daring players are
starting to make a mark...onward I say!,-)

All the best,
Rob Paparozzi