Re: [Harp-L] a question

To be clear, I don't change harps in the the middle of a song to
"make the changes" I will change harps in the middle of "song" if
that song segues into another ie: On green dolphin street into sesame
street.  Even though the two songs are in the same key I will changes
harps. I think of if at playing in different shades of the same color.

Otavio Castro will go to a gig with just one harp. He's a phenomenal
player and plays absolutely everything and anything on the key of C
diatonic.

Of course Howard Levy can do it.

I think playing everything on one harp is silly and short-sighted
while a great exercise in and of itself I think it's mostly an
exercise in arrogance.  I believe without a doubt nearly anything can
be playing in any on any diatonic.  I also believe that most things
only sound good in two or three positions. A simple tune like when
the saints go marching in can easily be played in any key but outside
of 1st and 2nd position it sounds weird.  There are situations that
call for either a "straight" sounding 1st position or a earthier 2nd
position, the band and feel should dictate which position will sound
best.  There is no reason to ever play this tune in 8th position etc
unless you are on a desert island with one harp or unless you're
showing off how you can play a simple tune in all twelve keys.

I pick harps and position based on appropriateness and situation.
You will never hear me play in say 8th position unless I'm playing
mid-east music and like the sound of all those bends or if a tune
calls for me to modulate through that position ie Body and Soul where
I find that I play it on an A or Bb harp depending on whom is playing
with me.